Monday 7 September 2015

Backyard Landscaping

 This was my backyard before.  I had already taken out the flower beds that were at the front of the yard.  I had also taken out the 4 patio blocks from the center of the yard which is where the firepit was located.  I found the yard was very broken up and didn't flow well.


This was the view from the back to the front BEFORE.  The grass is so brown because I killed it all.  It was also full
of weeds.











After the grass all died I rented a sod lifter and cut all of it out.  You can somewhat see the rows of pulled up grass and the sod lifter to the right.  I rented mine from Home Depot.  It was the smaller version and I had no issue using it on my own.













 My first flower bed created was along the fence.  I had a lot of river rocks in my yard when I bought the house.  They were randomly placed so I moved them to create a border.  Before the rocks were placed I used the black bed border which I had to dig down to place in.


















 It turned out quite nice.



My next step was leveling out the yard.  I ordered 5 yards of top soil and used a wheel barrow to haul it in.  The back left corner of the yard was really low.










Once the yard was leveled out I layed down the sod.  It was still a little low in the corner and I did end up adding more soil.  I left the spaces on the left open because that is where I am putting patios and flower beds.  I left the sod undisturbed and watered it for a week.










Next, I placed in the edging for the flower beds and then the patios.





















 Once the borders for the flower beds were in place and measured out, I layed down the gravel.  I rented a tamper from Home Depot to really pack it down.













Now that the gravel mix was well tamped down I put in the brick border and decided on the pattern I wanted for my patio.  Looking back I should have dug down a little deeper so that I could have layed another layer of gravel down on top of the border.



I then put down a layer of sand and placed the bricks in the pattern I had chosen.  I used sand to get them as even as I could.  As you can tell it wasn't perfect but it worked for me.















I filled in the empty space behind the patios with gravel.  On the second patio I used a few of the large paving stones.  It allowed a space for my daughter to use her sidewalk chalk.
 I also placed bricks to add to the edging of the flower beds.  I used some of the top soil for the flower beds.























 I absolutely love the outcome!!!


























1 comment:

  1. The blog above is entitled "Arlie's Toolbox Creations" and is essentially a blog that details how the author is a fan of backyard landscaping and making the lawn and property as neat as possible. On the page, there are pictures that detail how much yard work was done in order to make the backyard look as fresh as possible.

    Mike Mcmillen @ Dependable Lawn Care LLC

    ReplyDelete