Monday 11 August 2014

Pan Am Costumes

A few years ago my company hosted a staff party with a 60's theme......since Pan Am started in the 60's we dressed up as the crew.  Top buy costumes would have been expensive and we couldn't guarantee they would show up on time.  So I, with the help of my friends, threw together the above costumes.

The Hat:


I cut out the pieces using the above pattern, I cut about 1cm outside of the pattern to leave room for stitching and gluing.   I stitched the brim and the top together, adding a bit of white along the top.  I cut out the same size posterboard piece for the brim.  I glued the poster board into the brim. I then cut out two of the little embellishment pieces and stitched them together with some white.  I stitched them on to the hat.  A card board piece was cut out for the "pin" and painted with gold fingernail polish.

The Skirt:

Each skirt was custom made for the girl that wore it.  I simply used a skirt I already had and cut out pieces that match it.  The material that I bought had a bit of a stretch to it which helped with the forgiveness in the poor sewing job!

The Bag:

I cut out to rectangle shaped pieces for the sides and a long rectangle piece that fits in between them.  You can change the width to your liking.  I also cut two long rectangles for handles.  I stuffed my handles with batting but the other girls didn't and they looked great either way. 
The inside of the bag is lined with poster board and glued into place to allow the bag to keep its shape.  The logos were printed on an iron-on fabric and added to the bag.  When stitching the bag together, sew the handles on first, then iron-on the logo, then sew the sides together!

The Shirt, Gloves, and Jacket:



For the gloves, I purchased the long Halloween gloves and cut them to be just past the wrists.
The skirt and jacket were purchased.  We bought cheap white button up shirts from Smart Set.  We luckily found light blue jackets that buttoned in the front. (I can't remember where)  We bought costume flight pins from a costume place and painted them with gold nail polish.
We all wore black pumps and of course neutral pantyhose.






No comments:

Post a Comment