Thursday 14 August 2014

Show Girl Costumes


 Again my company hosted a costume party....this time wedding themed....so my group dressed up as a Vegas wedding chapel complete with show girl bridesmaids.   Costumes to purchased were ridiculous!!!
The Feather Bustle:



I purchased 100 ostrich feathers from Kijiji.  Someone had used them in their wedding decorations and no longer needed them.  I also purchased some black mesh from Michaels.  I weaved the feathers into the mesh instead of sewing them in case I needed to move some after the skirt was on.  It worked great and none of them fell out during the evening.  About 4 layers of the feathers was enough.
Under the skirt we wore booty shorts and the feather bustle was pinned to the shorts

The Feather Headdress:



For the headdress I bought a foam visor (the kids section) from Michaels.  I also bought a cheap plastic head band from there too (wider works better).  I painted the visor with some black sparkly paint.  Then my friend and I glued gems to the visor with some craft glue (some gems come with sticky backs)
Then we hot glued the visor to the head bands. Place the head band on your head and fit it to your head.  Only the two ends of the visor will be glued to the head band.  The middle will be bowed out to sit forward on your head.
Once the visor is secured we then glued feathers to the  back.  This process takes a while because we needed to find feathers that fit around nicely.  We added colored feathers for punch.

The Feather Fan:

I purchased a cheap bamboo fan.  I peeled off the paper that was on the fan.  Then I hot glued the black feathers onto each arm of the fan.  Then added the purple feathers to hide the ugly ends of the black ones.  You can't close the fans but they add to the costume.

The Corset, Nylons and Shoes
We purchased nylons from the dance store.  We wore nude ones underneath the fishnet.  We purchased cheap corsets online.  We each had neutral shoes to wear.  Our booty shorts we purchased from the costume store but you can get them a lot of different places.





No comments:

Post a Comment