Sunday 10 August 2014

Preschooler Kitchen



My daughter always loved playing in her friend's kitchens.  I just wasn't wanting to spend the big $$$ to buy one.  So I re-purposed an entertainment center.  I got the idea from Pinterest.

I bought the original one from the Habitat for Humanity Restore for $35.


This is what it looked like with doors off and drawers out.  I then cut the TV enclosure off to make it more roomy and less heavy!
Then I cut a hole in the flat top the size of a cake pan that would act as a sink.
I filled the track that the roller door slid in with wood filler.  I also sanded it and primed the entire thing.

I placed the shelf in the tall part to separate the "oven" portion and the "fridge" portion of the kitchen.  For the doors of the oven and fridge I picked up some spare cabinet doors and cut them down to size.  I also purchased mismatched handles for all of the doors and drawers at the restore.
For the "oven" door I got a cabinet door and had a windowed look to it.  In the center portion I put a textured shelf liner.  It makes the door look like a window.
I also put the shelf liner on the flat surface to make it more waterproof since there is a sink in there!  To ensure that it stayed down I used clear craft glue.

I also ensured that I let my daughter help me with the construction.  She was pretty excited for it to be done.
Once it was painted and put together I then added the handles.
I eventually added a small, used bathroom faucet.  Of course it is simply for show.

I tried to add magnetic paint to the sides of the kitchen but I couldn't get it thick enough to really work.  Next time I would simply just glue a thin metal sheet or a whiteboard to the sides.








 

1 comment: