Sunday 10 August 2014

Queen Bed Frame #1



This is where it all started.  I made myself a bed frame because I was too poor at the time to buy something similar!  
This is the beginning of my design.  I made it so that the boxspring would sit inside of the frame and be mostly hidden.  The mattress would then sit on top.  The overall height of the bed itself would depend on the thickness of the mattress that you have.

Here are the rest of the design layout pages.  I had to do the measurements in inches because that is how one buys lumber!!!!




Once I had the designs finalized I went to the hardware store and asked for some help choosing my lumber.  You will need a truck or have the store cut some of the pieces to size for you.  Once I got it home I cut out all of the pieces.  Some of the cuts would have been easier if I had better tools!
I did all the cutting in my basement!
I then did sort of a dry run for the assembly to make sure the pieces all fit together!  I did end up putting the feet of the bed on upside down to start with.....I eventually realized how ridiculous it looked and changed it around!




I then stained the pieces before I put it together because I had to assemble it in my bedroom!

I used screws to assemble the bed.  Once it was put together I then used some flat and corner braces (metal ones) to stabilize the bed.  I also put a leg under the middle box spring brace to make the bed sturdier.  This bed cost me about $150 in lumber, plus stain.  It is 10 years old this year (2014) and still works great.



No comments:

Post a Comment